- Derrick Bird spent three and a half hours shooting people with (presumably) a sporting double with birdshot. Yet in all that time, he was tailed by police and they never closed to engage! Are cops over there cockless cowards or what?
- In the hands of a psychopath, even a Fudd-friendly, slow to reload sporting double with wimpy birdshot can rack up a big score. Once again, we note there are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous people. And Bird was only dangerous by way of comparison.
- Despite early calls for restraint, what’s left of the Gun Culture in the UK is probably screwed. Recall that it was the “Conservatives” who passed the previous three bans and confiscations.
- Per issued licenses, there are about 715000 gun owners in the UK out of a total population of 62 million. That’s a hair over 1%. I find this terribly sad.
- Even worse is the reality that all the guns in the world will do you no good whatsoever if you are culturally and legally discouraged from defending yourself. The most effort expended by Bird’s victims was to barricade themselves inside a pub or run away.
I think the lessons from this sad incident are fairly obvious:
- There are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous people.
- Dangerous people may come for you anywhere, at any time!
- Dangerous people don’t have to be that dangerous when they prey on helpless, neutered pacifists.
- You are on your own! The police may be restrained by lack of testicular fortitude or bureaucratic sanction. Their only official job is to count the bodies, not to actually protect you or your loved ones.
Therefore, CARRY YOUR DAMN GUNS, PEOPLE! We do not carry because we look for trouble, but because we cannot tell when trouble may come looking for us! You cannot make an appointment for a disaster, so it is the duty of a free man to be constantly prepared to meet Evil with disconcerting alacrity. It is not a light burden in terms of financial outlay, political liability and personal inconvenience, but a free nation cannot long survive if the citizens slough it off, as we have seen in the place formerly known as Great Britain.